In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- When the load exceeds a value corresponding to the yield strength, the specimen undergoes gross plastic deformation.
- Bridges can be designed either to remain elastic during the design earthquake or to undergo irreversible but controlled deformation or displacement.
- Thus it was able to undergo intense transformations, such as mechanical deformation or metamorphism, but remain always in proximity to the surface.
- Quartz veins are abundant throughout the property and most appear to be related to Cretaceous deformation of the country rocks.
- It is a light grey, porphyritic volcanic to subvolcanic rock, which shows almost no deformation.
- These descriptions indicate that there has been no significant crystal deformation in these rocks.
- There was asphalt cracking due to tensile strain resulting from plastic deformation within the crushed rock.
- The Catalinas, in all of their grandeur, are going through that process of deformation right now.
- As a result, the culverts may undergo excessive deformation or failure rendering the culverts unserviceable.
- The outer zones accommodate the most deformation and energy absorption, while less deformation takes place the closer the collision approaches the passenger compartment.
- He may have some recollection of a study of cattle in fields downwind of the Steelworks, which indicated that fluorides deposited in these fields eaten by cattle produced discoloration of teeth and deformation of hooves.
- In physics, something plastic is capable of undergoing continuous deformation without rupture or relaxation; in biology it denotes the ability to form new tissue.
- It indicates that some deformation and erosion of the Annascaul rocks occurred prior to deposition of the Ballynane Formation.
- This process involves two complementary kinds of deformation.
- Color-coding depicts the direction and magnitude of the deformation, with red indicating deformation along the outward normal of the structure and blue along the inward normal.
- The possibility that this scrappy specimen has also undergone very significant deformation should be considered.
- He proposed that insight into the mechanism of rock deformation could be obtained by subjecting confined samples to high pressures in the laboratory.
- This again is a criterion of little value in high-strain rocks, where fine banding is a common consequence of deformation.
- Subsequently, between the Late Proterozoic and the Mesozoic, the rocks throughout the region suffered periodic episodes of deformation.
- At high enough stresses, irreversible processes accompany deformation.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.