- Choose the disk you want to defragment and expect to let the program run for several hours.
- Also disable the screen saver while the disk is defragmenting as it will cause the process to interrupt and re-start.
- You can choose which drives to defragment and whether to shut-down or reboot Windows once the deed is done.
- Another thing to bear in mind is that if programs are installed and uninstalled regularly then the hard disk will rapidly become fragmented, so it is a good idea to defragment the drive.
- With today's large and fast hard drives and more efficient operating systems, one maintenance task that's no longer as necessary is disk defragmenting.