In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1he was defrocked — lo apartaron del sacerdocio
- Because of Buddhism's central importance in national life, the state has long been reluctant to act against errant monks until they have been defrocked by the Buddhist hierarchy.
- An Irish Protestant priest who faced being defrocked for publicly stating he did not believe in the divinity of Christ last night announced his resignation.
- The cardinals said on Wednesday they would recommend a process to defrock any priest who has become ‘notorious and is guilty of the serial, predatory sexual abuse of minors’.
- A bishops' committee has recommended the church defrock any priest who abuses children in the future, but says that if a priest only abused one child in the past, he might continue as a priest.
- Don Vitaliano - Nothing But a Priest is a documentary about an anti-capitalist priest who has subsequently been defrocked.
- He was sentenced to a fine, whipping, defrocking, life imprisonment and pillorying four times a year for the rest of his life.
- The bishop had been speaking about gun control at an anti-gun rally only a few days before the court hearing, and recommended that he be defrocked.
- As expected their new policy does determine that priests who offend from here on out will be defrocked.
- If this story is true the priest who offered up this warped advice should be defrocked.
- He has been suspended for six months while the matter is further investigated, and it appears almost a certainty that he will be defrocked.
- He was also allegedly defrocked as a Russian Orthodox priest in his home country.
- Because it is a state church, however, the Lutheran Church cannot defrock him.
- The Dallas resolution made it much easier to defrock a priest for molesting a child.
- If he is ordained, he should be defrocked for violating confidentiality.
- He was tried for heresy by the Free Church of Scotland and defrocked.
- Journalists rarely understand the full power of the press, but one authority we don't have is the power to defrock priests.
- Priests who are guilty of sexually assaulting minors should be defrocked and turned over to the law.
- Do they determine in some way or another that this priest can be reassigned and another priest should be defrocked?
- Now defrocked, he was free from government monastic regulations and duties, and yet he had not freely chosen the lay life for himself.
- The Modernist clergyman who had led the revolt, found himself defrocked and excommunicated.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.