In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Constancio's rejection of Paine's deism illustrates that liberals were selective in their borrowings from the ‘canonical’ Enlightenment.
- Not only was Newton not a deist; he believed deism heretical and harmful.
- He drifted gradually from deism into pantheism.
- Hobbes's idea of a natural religion can fairly be described as deist, and his blend of deism and civil religion was to prove prophetic of much Enlightenment thinking.
- As I stated previously, in 18th century deism there were two keys to distinguishing between deism and theism in its various forms.
- The solicitor general fell into the trap of defending the phrase as a revered historical curiosity, an expression of ceremonial deism, and something good for reinforcing patriotic sentiment.
- In addition, what we now know of quantum mechanics renders deism inadequate theology because the universe doesn't unfold in a rigorously deterministic manner.
- They see economics as a product of Enlightenment rationalism, along with deism, atheism, the chaos of the French Revolution and other un-Christian aspects of the modern age.
- As a result, no religious acknowledgment could claim to be an instance of ceremonial deism if it explicitly favored one particular religious belief system over another.
- Far from being based in a biblical vision, the case for intelligent design seems to lead at best to a kind of deism.
- In terms of religion, Napoleon bordered between deism and atheism.
- I would argue that an interventionist view of God is much closer to deism than my view.
- Originating late in 1796, this movement of intellectual, republican deism prospered in towns where dechristianization had been popular.
- Put into practice, her ceremonial deism will cease to be either ceremonial or deistic.
- As a thinker he advanced from theological liberalism to deism, then pantheism and possibly to atheism.
- As a prelude to this Genesis-geology controversy, the eighteenth century also witnessed the spread of two competing but largely similar worldviews: deism and atheism.
- He reacts against the heresy of deism, the belief that God wound up the universe in the beginning but lets it run without intervention.
- He did not, however, stray too far from deism; he placed little faith in the use of prayers for specific personal requests or miracles.
- I've long held a similar belief, namely that modern science would lead to a re-emergence of an old religious idea, a blend of naturalism and deism.
- And since he asserts that atheism equals nihilism, and deism equals atheism lite, then I must really be a nihilist.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.