In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1acción retardada femininebefore noun delayed-action bomb — bomba de acción retardada
- delayed-action mechanism — mecanismo de acción retardada
- Remote controls and delayed action devices make it possible to carry out mass murder, even at a distance.
- Their capital erosion - in some cases, total - means protracted and delayed action directly affects their ability to generate the income they need.
- Most guardsmen blamed the failure of the operation on changes in planning, restrictions, lack of action or delayed action, and the President himself.
- Last week's flooding was the worst in 30 years according to members of the business community who have been left to count the cost of delayed action by the City Council.
- One particular scene, in which each of the rival twosomes tries to persuade the other to make for the lunchtime pub, is a masterly study of delayed action.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.