In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It's home to a cornucopia of delis, gourmet stores, boutiques and cosy little restaurants.
- Now they are devising plans for further investment in the chilled food factory which supplies distributors to bakeries, delis and sandwich shops.
- The stores, delis and hairdressing shops underneath the elevated subway tracks were humming with shoppers, a very lively neighbourhood.
- The range of food will also be expanded with a new salad bar, chicken rotisserie and an enlarged deli, bakery and fish and meat counter.
- The gossamer-thin spring-roll pastry can be bought from Oriental food stores and some speciality food halls and delis.
- Every couple of blocks has its own deli, grocery, laundromat, coffee shop and so on.
- These areas have become known as the focal point for the prosperous and wealthy, due to the services on offer such as schools, shops and delis.
- Fresh olives are available in delis, supermarkets, farmers markets.
- We huddled together, on our landings, in the laundromat, at the corner deli.
- Meanwhile, organic food has gone from farmers' markets to delis in west London, with organic supermarkets in the smartest parts of town.
- You can only buy that in Italian delis and pork stores.
- Then he just turned around and walked west, to where a couple of blocks down was a supermarket, and several delis.
- It stands in a typical mixed Manhattan neighbourhood: on the next block are kosher delis and bagels shops.
- Jars of truffle paste are available in good delis and in selected supermarkets.
- A lot of grocery stores and delis were closed, and therefore, nobody could get anything to eat or drink, for that matter.
- Buying fresh bread, hot out of the oven, now appears as a luxurious exercise only possible in expensive delis or 24 hour shops with pretensions above their station.
- The pedestrian-oriented commercial areas they left us lend themselves to neighbourhood produce shops, bakeries, delis and cafés.
- Shops, supermarkets and delis could also play a role in supporting farmhouse cheeses by displaying and promoting them better than they do at present.
- It turns out that we have much the same food shopping trail, using the same delis, grocers and supermarkets.
- I'm a city girl who loves Thai takeout, and I usually buy my wine from the corner deli.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.