In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Perceptions can be delusive, especially when core beliefs are at stake.
- The process is delusive and insufficient, exactly in proportion as the subject-matter of the observation is special and limited in extent.
- Scientific truth is always paradox, if judged by everyday experience, which catches only the delusive nature of things.
- In each episode, he illustrates that the erasure of human history is both an elusive and delusive act, propelled by the desperate illusion that there is no consequence to one's actions.
- In my elimination of delusive thoughts, my conscious mind believes that my past delusions were wrong.
- It was not only delusive but dangerous, for it lulled the public into a false sense of security.
- Wednesday's win was a pleasing, restorative result at a time when it was badly needed, but it would be delusive to read too much into it.
- A cat's vast sense of entitlement may be delusive but at least it's honest.
- They brought back piquantly appropriate or delusive answers, piquant enough to condemn the stories.
- Ethics without science is at best uninformed and at worst delusive, while science without ethics is at best suspect and at worst downright dangerous.
- Thus we can have common-sense knowledge while not knowing that we are not having the delusive experience of a brain-in-a-vat.
- But we should be clear that we are doing so for reasons of justice and not in the delusive hope of greater security.
- Fredric Jameson's 1981 lecture, ‘Postmodernism and Consumer Society,’ sheds some light on Wideman's portrayal of ghetto experience as delusive.
- However, as hard as she tried, her attempts were delusive.
- Pop is about the glorious effusive, delusive Now, isn't it?
- A figurative pat on the head is worthless if youthful naivete is allowed to grow and flourish in a delusive psyche.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.