In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1Musicdemostración femininedemo masculine
- Anti-war protesters who scribbled graffiti on Queen Victoria's statue and Lancaster Town Hall during the demos faced criminal charges yesterday.
- An employee/friend of my mother's is very pro-Countryside Alliance and has been attending most of the organised demos around the country.
- In recent months, pro-democracy demos are attracting very few.
- Massive pro-war demos get ignored by the professional media in favour of handfuls of ‘antiwar’ types, but blogs tell the other side of the story.
- But because of the foot and mouth crisis, the Whitby-based peace campaigners organising the demo switched venues to Whitby town centre bandstand.
- He added: ‘We are still hopeful that war can be avoided, and I am sure the previous big demos have had an impact.’
- The socialite and sometime model appeared before a judge at Bow Street magistrates court for obstructing the highway during last week's pro-hunting demos in London.
- There will also be demos at many other Spanish cities.
- On Saturday two demos will take to the streets: one in support of the lab, arguing that animal testing is necessary to save human lives; the other arguing that animal lives are as valuable as our own.
- Public demos are likely to continue after parliament ruled the initial poll invalid and passed a symbolic, non-binding vote of no-confidence in the electoral commission.
- Rain failed to deter protesters turning out for an anti-war march in Colchester, which organisers hailed as one of the biggest demos in the town in recent years.
- The action takes place in the 1960s, but the girls' private dramas unfold in a rarefied world, isolated from the political turmoil of the anti-war demos going on outside.
- I mean, how many demos do you go on these days where a majority of the marchers are in their late teens or early 20s and whose aims are to defend ‘science, reasoned debate and the welfare of mankind’, no less?
- A bunch of us are going to the London peace demo on Sunday.
- This was one of the smaller demos, amid a movement which saw 200,000 school students take to the streets against the threat they see in him.
2British informal(protest)manifestación feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.