In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This is their chance to breathe new life into our system of Parliamentary democracy.
- Representative democracy must mean that those who govern will fairly represent the governed.
- It will be interesting to see how the judge treats the dilemma between central control and local democracy.
- Dictatorship was repudiated, and democracy accepted as a system of values.
- He forgets that democracy is a system in which the people choose their leaders.
- Our system of democracy rests on the electorate being able to hold politicians accountable.
- The example of Greek democracy seemed so much better in theory than in practice.
- One of the major principles of democracy is that government is conducted by the people.
- People asserted themselves to save democracy and the parliamentary system was restored.
- The history of the world is a history of systems: monarchy, oligarchy, democracy, what you will.
- We condemn this decision, and appeal to all those who are on the side of democracy and freedom of the press to take a stand against it.
- The politics of parliamentary democracy are not as monolithic as you represent them.
- Rousseau laid the basis for modern ideas of democracy and the legitimacy of majority rule.
- This is a serious development which could threaten free elections and representative democracy itself.
- I want to tell the people in the gallery that they are observers of our parliamentary democracy.
- The British system of representative democracy has always abhorred referendums on moral issues.
- The whole direction of modern democracy is toward inclusion and equality of rights.
- Yet in practice, liberal democracy should also allow for checks on government and limits to majority rule.
- In key respects this new politics represents a contest for democracy itself.
- Simple representative democracy in such a plural polity will no longer work.
2(democratic state)democracia femininewe live in a democracy — vivimos en una democracia
- Freedom, then, is potentially but not automatically available to individuals in democracies.
- Thanks to that, it is now virtually a pacifist country, and one of the most stable democracies in the world.
- Most of the democracies in Europe at the time had diverse nationalised industries.
- As has been said by quite a number of speakers today, our Parliament is one of the oldest true democracies.
- In democracies, it is the press which puts manners on governments, not the other way around.
- Unlike a legislative body in most democracies, the Council exercises significant executive powers.
- Among the caucuses that the members of this community of democracies agreed to form, was one at the United Nations.
- So will our government work with other democracies to dismantle the tax havens?
- What rights do women and religious minorities actually exercise in these democracies?
- Some changes in sovereignty have led to new forms of cooperation among the developed democracies in the North.
- Debate and criticism are the life blood of the democracies - both in Europe and America.
- In most democracies, changing the constitution is the work of years.
- International law is not as well-defined as national law in advanced democracies.
- In few democracies is government regarded with such suspicion and scepticism.
- Countries with stable democracies today had to go through long and bitter civil wars.
- Both are successful democracies with proud records on human rights.
- The House of Commons sits for more days and more hours than any other legislature in the large democracies.
- I would be the last person to say that our current democracies are actually democratic.
- The colonies were not democracies and the governors were not responsible to an electorate.
- There can be and have been intolerant democracies and reasonably tolerant autocracies.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.