In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(believer in democracy)demócrata feminine
- As a democrat, he stated one should not automatically exclude other elected parties from participation in government.
- He says that as a democrat he believes in social justice and endeavours to make life better for everyone.
- As a democrat he argued that democracy and dependence on the military and the police are incompatible, a stand still significant today.
- They have often chosen targets, and methods, which many democrats believe to be mistaken and even illegal.
- A democrat can hardly object if the people believe that they should restrain themselves by using the courts.
- But it is a system that many constitutionalists and democrats see as a standing affront.
- Like the democrats, the advocates of constitutional government also spoke a European language.
- I am a union democrat who believes in sponsoring participation and involvement.
- European and American politicians continually praised him, describing him as an exemplary democrat.
- The democrats would have us believe that corruption of an organ of state is only curable by voting.
- As a democrat, I believe it should be possible to have changes of government in line with what people vote for.
- Those who opposed reform of any kind caricatured the reformers as anarchic democrats.
- As a democrat I don't believe that any election should go uncontested but there is an argument to be put forward in this case.
- He was a passionate democrat and republican who wrote verse in support of these causes.
- I've always called myself a progressive and a democrat, but today I know that to be a democrat you have to be one in practice.
- As a democrat, I believe that minorities should be protected from the prejudices of the majority when they turn on pursuits they find distasteful.
- To succeed we must become first a central part of the argument and then win it convincingly - as democrats in a democratic process.
- Is the purpose of government, as pure democrats would say, to enforce the will of the majority?
- It was a call to arms for democrats faced with a totalitarian threat.
- I think the President is a democrat and in democracy we have preferences.
2Democrat(in US)demócrata masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.