In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- We must stand as firmly as we ever have done to ensure that the democratic tradition lives.
- It is far more democratic for those who are thinking about striking to get together in a big meeting to discuss it.
- There is a danger, however, that the structures of the new union will be less democratic.
- For the first time ever, almost half of the world's governments are now democratic.
- What people see as democratic principles may sometimes have to be compromised.
- You also think our freedoms will be reined in and our democracy will be less democratic.
- The methods available to some kinds of regimes are not part of the democratic repertoire.
- He has huge influence on economic policy without the slightest democratic check on him.
- Some progress has been made on democratic and judicial control, but major deficits persist.
- Why is she not more widely praised for her liberal principles and democratic acumen?
- Like most of the new businessmen, he saw the link between democratic reforms and the free market.
- In theory, the fund supports democratic institutions in the nations it assists.
- This prosecution is an infringement of the democratic rights of everyone who lives in the borough.
- He sees the need for sound democratic political activity about economic and social issues.
- The paper supported the broad democratic movements that had made the revolution.
- The differences between these two types of democratic practices are profound.
- He stated that a democratic federal pluralistic and parliamentary state should also be set up.
- We must try to live up to our stated principles of human rights, the rule of law and democratic government.
- It was much easier to investigate in this country because there are more democratic rights there.
- I do not think it is healthy in any democratic parliament to have that sort of a majority.
- What we need to do now is to widen this circle to include the many new members of the Democratic family.
- He is the frontrunner with Democratic voters in every part of the country.
- He still holds a modest lead over his Democratic rival.
- The unions have promoted the idea that a Democratic mayor would be sympathetic to the teachers.
- However, the final report in May could also find fault with the preceding Democratic administration.
- I haven't been following the Democratic convention in Boston very closely yet.
- No member of the Democratic congressional leadership commented on his charges.
- At the Democratic national convention last week, big business put on its biggest party at a political event.
- His triumph in the Democratic primary was as much a surprise to him as to his adversaries.
- If you generally vote Democratic, what would it take to make you vote Republican?
- The newspaper has been profiling the candidates for the Democratic nomination for President.
- In July and August the Democratic and Republican parties hold their nominating conventions.
- Both the Republican and Democratic camps are becoming wary of a backlash.
- He brought a variety of Democratic congressmen on stage to wave at the crowd.
- He doesn't offer much of in the way of an alternative Democratic policy on national security and defense.
- His Democratic opponents have wisely raised this as an election issue.
- It was the Democrats protesting against Democrats in office in a Democratic city.
2(egalitarian)(principles/organization) democrático(art/sports) popular
- Most of all, footbag kicking is a democratic sport.
- It is a democratic sport for all people of all ages.
- In many ways, running is the most democratic of sports.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.