In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The union's leaders had angered many delegates by ruling out of order motions calling for the political fund to be democratised - allowing union members to decide how the fund should be spent.
- But most of all it requires opening up and democratizing the closed political process.
- One motion agreed to democratise the union's political fund by giving the conference responsibility for determining where the fund should be spent.
- Both present principles that would democratize the policy-making process and offer concrete suggestions to realize these principles in practice.
- The State's Government must be democratised and federalised before it aspires for more powers from the Centre.
- This is not to say that the regime democratized itself, but that it was an often unwitting contributor to processes that slipped out of its control.
- By democratising global institutions we can make them directly accountable and give them much needed legitimacy.
- So in the absence of a planned design, attempts to democratize the international system have been ad hoc, as citizen organizations and economic elites create their own mechanisms of influence.
- This would be democratised by means of weighted voting: nations' votes would increase according to both the size of their populations and their positions on a global democracy index.
- That has fed the debate over democratising the unions' political funds.
- The data set used in this analysis is advantageous in this regard because it consists of polities that all possessed a single regime type and have only been democratizing for a short time, providing less of a risk for reverse causality.
- It argues that this fund should be democratised so the union's members decide how the money is spent.
- Before these countries can be truly democratized they need to develop systems that make sense within their particular cultural and historical contexts.
- They were deeply linked to democratizing and egalitarian trends, such as labor politics and feminism.
- I have also consistently supported democratising the union's political fund.
- I suggest we democratize our electoral process in electing a new party chairman by popular vote.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.