In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The study population has been considered fairly representative of the Norwegian population for demography, socioeconomic factors, morbidity, and mortality.
- Only one study has attempted to define the relationship between health and demography in the manner of the present study.
- However, these data are not likely to represent a ‘false positive’ sweep pattern caused by demography or population structure.
- Nonetheless, this is a wonderful book to present the ideas of one strand of economic demography to a general readership.
- Research seems to be sporadic in several other respects as well with the important exceptions of investigations in demography and family sociology.
- In demography, the study of population patterns, there is a saying that ‘behind most news stories is a population story’.
- Food availability is well known to have important influences on population demography, distribution, and abundance.
- Survival probability is an important component of population demography.
- In this study, we did not consider the effect of demography, such as population size bottlenecks and expansions.
- From ecology and demography we know that population replacement can be relatively rapid (over a few thousand years).
- However, many details of the historical demography of modern humans remain to be clarified and are subject to continuing controversy.
- The early articles discuss demography and life tables.
- Currently, empirical studies of population demography are more frequently quantifying variances of parameters as well as mean values.
- It is also becoming clear that more complex models of human demography must be considered, such as those incorporating geographic structure and changes in population size.
- The study of demography and life-history evolution has a rich, theoretical foundation.
- In 1994, the study of the demography of small areas took a leap forward through the establishment by Graeme Hugo of a computerised, geographical information system.
- Without baseline data on populations' disease status and how that may affect demography, it will be impossible to say whether or not increased effect of disease is likely to be a major concern.
- His paper is one of the most profound papers in both demography and population genetics.
- At the same time, the pre-industrial economy was constrained by internal barriers or limits in demography, disease, soil, climate, energy, and technology.
- As well as being a reader in demography at Oxford University, Coleman has published 90 papers and eight books on the growth and movements of populations.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.