In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- From that there can be no doubt that the power of a demon is destructive - his purpose in dominating the personality is to destroy it.
- But there is simply no credible evidence to suggest the boy was possessed by demons or evil spirits.
- Can a pharmacist refuse to fill a prescription because he or she believes the client is possessed by demons?
- Early Christian art painted demons and devils as black figures.
- ‘People who lived on the streets due to the abuse of drugs, were not mentally deranged but possessed by demons,’ he said.
- This type of dragon was considered by many to be the intermediate stage between a demon and the Devil and as such came into Christian belief.
- On Japanese art objects, Kintaro is usually shown fighting with a wild animal or a demon.
- As well as animal forms, demons can have other grotesque and hideous forms.
- In the first one I look like some evil demon has possessed me.
- Shadows of beasts and demons flickered bigger-than-life on the walls.
- At any rate, the talk show host was advising a father who thought his son was possessed by a demon.
- Frescoes of demons and spirits writhe across the walls of its prayer halls, and the drone of absorbed monks fills dim rooms and corridors.
- Indeed, they would conclude that he was possessed by an evil demon.
- The Japanese culture and arts have been strongly influenced by a wide-spread belief in ghosts, demons and supernatural spirits.
- In a statement to the inquest, Mr Delstanche senior, said his son was not trying to harm himself but thought he could burn the spirits or demons out of his body.
- It was a large wave of monsters, made up mainly of ogres and dog demons.
- The demons and other beasts that escaped banishment hid in the dark places of the world, like the forests and great pits.
- In Tartini's time, the Devil personified the spirit of evil, a demon, the ruler of Hell, and the chief adversary of God.
- Tibetans treat the blind as outcasts because they believe they are possessed by demons or have committed evil in a prior life.
- Possession by a bad spirit (a demon or witch) has been cited as the cause of some of the evil things people do.
1.2informal (naughty child)demonio masculine informaldiablo masculine informalhe's a little demon — es un diablillo informal
- York trumpeter Greg Wadman heads for Scarborough Jazz on Tuesday, with demon guitarist Trevor Holroyd.
- For Ben the Bucket, the Dale's demon gardener, the summer has been both a triumph and a tragedy.
- She had been manipulated by the demon, just as Koreko had been.
- No, they are not animals, they are evil demons who hide under the cloak of kindness and normality while they hatch their plots.
- This is the second time in 12 months that Sondheim's demon barber has appeared in London.
- That, or there's some twisted sadist of a blind, jealous lunatic demon deceiving me.
- After all, no child could resist the commanding and manipulating voice of a demon.
- Three, I'm a sadistic demon that delights in your emotional pain.
- Can this demon conductor possibly be pried away from his beloved Kirov Opera in St. Petersburg and tied permanently to New York?
- As a sideline he was a classical violinist, a master bridge player and a demon at gin rummy, but golf was where he got his kicks.
- Our first tests of the company's new speed demon show some impressive performance gains.
- Remember those occasions when he would have made batting easy for his partners by taking on the demon bowlers all by himself.
- Why did he go from nearly human to cruel demon in a heartbeat?
- My wife, Bobbie, and I found the Vietnamese to be sweet people, demon entrepreneurs, not at all unfriendly to us.
- You play as Jenn who thinks herself a normal girl who likes to have fun, but as the story progresses she learns that she posses demon abilities.
- Even before the tourists jetted out from Blighty former Australian bowling demon Dennis Lillee delivered a withering a verdict on the England attack.
- You are just hiding your true feelings; you hate us, you think we are evil wicked demons from hell here to rip you to shreds.
- She's a triathelete and is a little speed demon.
- Cotton might not be the demon fabric that performance apparel manufacturers say it is, but I'm going to keep my Under Armour shirt.
2.1informal (enthusiast)a demon for sth
- she's a demon for work/exercise — es una bestia trabajando/haciendo ejercicio
- So how odd that Howard should invest so much time and political capital in building a whole speech round this non-existent demon.
2.2(talented person)(bowler/shot) endiabladamente bueno informala demon at sth
- he's a demon at chess/golf — es una fiera / un hacha jugando al ajedrez/golf
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.