In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The only grounds I have [to refuse permission for the trials] is if there is demonstrable scientific evidence to offset the decision.
- Unless there is demonstrable chance of harm to the child, grandparents should be able to visit their grandchildren.
- Perhaps mindful of the demonstrable double standard, however, this time a different reason was given for deleting the post.
- They need to make sure that cameras are at sites where their need is demonstrable.
- We did not expect that the demonstrable benefits of quite different types of psychotherapy would be so little different.
- No such compelling reason, proven facts or demonstrable mistake has emerged.
- He said the campaign, which has been running since May, has had a demonstrable effect on sales.
- These findings show that meditation has a demonstrable neurological effect.
- In principle, continuity is eminently desirable but the principle shrivels if what is being continued doesn't have demonstrable worth.
- The supermarket chain argues that the extension plans will enhance the vitality and viability of the town centre without causing demonstrable harm.
- You need superior technology, but you also need a demonstrable advantage over any competing method of doing business.
- There was no apparent increased risk of getting a brain tumour demonstrable that could be related to the use of a mobile phone.
- The idea of increasing their already generous remuneration, without demonstrable justification, is outrageous.
- I think it's something that could be resented by students and parents alike, particularly if they didn't believe there was a demonstrable need for it.
- The limitations of such a view of ‘instinct’ are clearly demonstrable in Freud's writings on art and artists.
- But there is no demonstrable shortage of low skilled workers in the United States today.
- Group influences on the individual are marked, easily demonstrable and pervasive.
- It is demonstrable, for that matter, that poverty and poor health go together.
- As far as we know none of them succeeded in any demonstrable way.
- You will not be disappointed if you are looking for strong direction and, a clear plot and actors with clear, demonstrable talent.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.