In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(show)(ability/method/need) demostrarhe demonstrated how to make mayonnaise — demostró cómo se hace la mayonesa
- Merja demonstrated how to throw water from the buckets onto the stones, so a wave of intense heat rushed over us.
- As he demonstrated how to strike the ball, he ended up flat on his back, much to the disgust of Declan.
- Techniques to minimise stress at work were demonstrated at the campaign.
- She demonstrates her impressive long distance catching here.
- It wasn't long before the teenager was demonstrating both the self-assurance for which he is renowned and the chip that has taken up residence on his shoulder.
- This is a well-researched piece of work that demonstrates the skill and care of the architects in telling such a story.
- My job was to demonstrate the Tomcat's performance and tactical capabilities.
- The tribute show in particular demonstrated how instantly witty he was.
- These are the same words spoken by the mechanical voice before the eating machine is demonstrated.
- His work demonstrates the skill of the cabinetmaker at its most intricate.
- He ducked in and out of the atmosphere to demonstrate the craft's dual capabilities.
- Throughout this campaign he has demonstrated how out of touch he is by failing to make any impact on the dominant public services issue.
- Most pupils of that time treasure years of happy memories, as demonstrated by the huge enthusiastic reunions.
- In addition, no other compound of the translation machinery has been demonstrated to function as a feedback regulator.
- It just demonstrates the work and commitment of our local school even during the summer holidays.
- Maritime crafts will be demonstrated in a marquee featuring stalls of wood carving, rope craft and the secrets of ship bottling.
- Men from the regiment gave military displays and demonstrated how to load muskets.
- We spent a day walking in the country and he proudly demonstrated how the pockets in his special walking trousers were exactly the right size to fit maps into.
- Suddenly Duffy's charges began to demonstrate a bit of pluck.
- George demonstrated how his tap water had a milky colour and he was afraid to drink it.
- The learners must demonstrate competence in all technical skills by performing the tasks.
- On the opening day of the exhibition, Pipop will demonstrate his painting skills by creating a painting in public.
- In short, the manager has to find succour from shoestrings, a quality that Scott has demonstrated in the past.
- Gayle, arms raised towards the heavens and head thrown back, demonstrated nothing more than self-indulgence.
- After quieting us students down, both teachers demonstrated how to make a proper lay-up.
- During the afternoon a Sea King and its crew demonstrated how it would do a rescue at sea with a diver being winched to safety from Farm Cove.
- The helicopter crew also demonstrated how an injured man could be rescued from a fishing boat in the high seas.
- Often those engaged in a navy's work must demonstrate high skill and courage.
- To do that, learn how to perform correctly so you can demonstrate your skills consistently.
- A group has been on a rally to London to demonstrate its feelings and has also spelt out its views to Institute chiefs in a bid to keep tuition fees as low as possible.
- Each model has its own theoretical consistency and practicality that demonstrates its clinical efficacy.
- It demonstrated how comprehensively one could control one's body and express oneself using the body.
- The award is presented to the candidate who most clearly demonstrates a strong commitment to the music teaching profession.
- He set up a stall with a stove and demonstrated how to cook his invention.
- The promoter had even installed a machine and demonstrated how these plates and cups were moulded.
- Sunday night's performance did little to demonstrate Williams' abilities.
- Leibniz visited the Royal Society, and demonstrated his incomplete calculating machine.
- The project demonstrated how teleoperated echographic diagnosis can be carried out
- The finale takes on almost orchestral proportions, demonstrating the composer's wish to be associated with more than folk music and cute miniatures.
- Their virtues and social responsibility can be demonstrated through their contributions.
2Business(appliance/product) hacer una demostración de
1Politicsmanifestarseto demonstrate in support of/against sth/sb — manifestarse en apoyo/en contra de algo/algn
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.