In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The shipowner could earn more at less risk by making sure there were demurrage clauses in the charter party.
- Importers must also pay shipping companies demurrage, which is a charge imposed to cover the time between the arrival of its vessel and the return of its container delivered at the port.
- These agreements stipulated that the ships would be inspected by government officials, that they would sail in convoy and that demurrage would be paid in the event of delay.
- Were a port to be built adequate for large vessels, would it be able to handle the steamer traffic, which could allow only a few hours to load and unload without incurring demurrage costs?
- How long is a ship obliged to remain on demurrage, and what are the rights of the owner if the charterer detains her too long?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.