In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The process of naming plants and classifying them into those groupings is called nomenclature; the study of trees themselves is called dendrology.
- I was introduced to the concept of phenotype during a course in forest dendrology, the taxonomy of trees.
- It should certainly be considered as a student textbook for courses on dendrology and field botany.
- I imagine that the text could easily be used by any college level dendrology class taught in neighboring states.
- Scientists do not yet fully understand all the actions and interactions of autumn leaf colors, but you may want to try contacting a dendrology department at a university with a forestry school.
- This is not just another tree guide or dendrology text for identifying trees and describing their characteristics.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.