In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Because of our great dependence on science, we assume that humanity should have the means to deal with any catastrophe.
- The importance of sea control has increased with the world's growing dependence on international trade and ocean resources.
- Implemented citywide, it could reduce by half this arid city's expensive dependence on imported water.
- Despite continued Chinese dependence on larger, extended families, the nuclear family is most pervasive in Macau.
- On the other hand, he had to take into account the country's strong economic dependence on Russia.
- The changed orientation of government was exemplified in the monarchy's new dependence on parliamentary taxes rather than feudal dues.
- As a democrat he argued that democracy and dependence on the military and the police are incompatible, a stand still significant today.
- As with the Chinese, the Japanese family also plays a key role in maintaining social stability, dependence, and mutual support.
- The disease frequently results in increasing dependence upon others for both social and practical support.
- This dependence on imports has prodded the nation into tremendous achievements in improved efficiency.
- Paternalism fosters passivity and dependence, saps self confidence, and undermines people's ability to cope.
- But James aimed to free the crown from any dependence on its subjects.
- His big moment is when he lashes out at Joe in frustration because of his lost arm and his dependence on his brother's charity.
- Of great relevance to the story is the financial dependence of the university.
- Essentially, it is designed to provide protection where there is a financial dependence.
- As a policy for financial independence of women, it creates financial dependence.
- The deeper challenge is how to provide support in ways that challenge dependence.
- In the United Kingdom they face the effects of poverty, dependence, and lack of cohesive social support.
- Direct state funding of aid agencies to undertake such activities is a growing trend, as is overall dependence on government coffers.
- What she chooses is true love and financial dependence - outside marriage.
- The explorers' frequent journal references to their horses are testimony to their dependence on those tough, grass-fed animals.
- But our dependence on motor vehicles powered by fossil fuels incurs an array of external costs to the environment and the public's health.
- The dependence of the US on financial inflows from the rest of the world is starting to cause concern in some financial circles.
- Self help support programmes provide temporary help and not life long dependence.
- Her mental condition slowly deteriorates with her growing dependence on a fantasy she is unable to control.
- Is corn ethanol the way to reduce our dependence on foreign oil?
- During his presidency education expanded and the government made efforts to diversify the economy to release Zambia from its dependence on copper.
- The predominance of wives among petitioners is due to their greater financial dependence.
- The aim of the Brothers of Charity is to support each participant in a successful transition from dependence to independence.
- His dependence on a more capable partner may have prevented him from gaining a deep understanding of how to solve both problems.
- The money is divided among tobacco producing counties in Kentucky based on their economic dependence on the crop.
- One fact unites all home schoolers: dependence on the efforts of mothers.
- The cornea is reshaped to reduce the patient's dependence on glasses.
- Garages at the rear of homes free the front of the property for human interaction and decrease dependence on the automobile.
- Instead, they want to reduce dependence on debt during uncertain times.
- Choices made within these relationships, he argued, may give rise to the financial dependence of one partner on the other.
- Thirdly, placements in supported housing at varying levels of dependence have increased enormously.
- The writers were sometimes aware of other romances on the subject and often indicate their dependence on Chretien or other sources.
- He adds that, towards the end of last year, the company became cashflow - positive, reducing its dependence on external funding.
- Their community has a strength, built upon trust and mutual dependence.
(addiction)dependencia femininehis dependence on morphine — su dependencia de la morfina
- Tricyclic antidepressants don't cause dependence or addiction, but they can make you drowsy.
- It is a cure with permanent remission from the symptoms of drug dependence.
- The self-medication hypothesis of addictive disorders: focus on heroin and cocaine dependence.
- Patients with a past or present history of addiction or dependence on opioids account for the majority of these reports.
- It is believed that prevention will help to deter drug abuse or the intensification of dependence.
- Lifetime risks and correlates for both alcohol and drug abuse and dependence were estimated.
- Nicotine is the substance in tobacco that is capable of causing addiction or dependence.
- With proper and timely treatment the victim of alcohol dependence can beat his addiction and lead a useful, productive life.
- Future research might focus on how to improve procedures assessing drug use and dependence in offenders.
- Doctors are very cautious about prescribing sleeping pills to patients, since they often lead to serious drug dependence.
- They said this may boost the effects of physiological processes which lead to dependence and addiction.
- Injections are also being developed to help tackle other serious addictions, including drugs dependence.
- No other sociodemographic variables were significantly associated with recent drug dependence.
- This increases both health risks and the likelihood of dependence or addiction.
- Similarly, substance abuse counseling will refer to the treatment of drug abuse and dependence.
- While it does not produce a physical addiction, psychological dependence is quite common.
- The popular view is that cannabis is not a drug of dependence because it does not have a clearly defined withdrawal syndrome.
- The law allowed for the suspension of penalties if the offender agreed to enter a treatment program for drug dependence.
- Methadone is also used to help some people control their dependence on heroin or other narcotics.
- Treatment for alcohol abuse or dependence may include outpatient detoxification.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.