In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- According to beauty experts, the number of men seeking the painful depilatory treatment has soared 10-fold over the past five years.
- Developed and tested in a government lab 10 years before, the dehairing system removed hair and dirt from beef carcasses by spraying them with depilatory chemicals as they moved through a massive chamber.
- In the ‘mountain humbled’ towns of the Andes, he stumbles upon a scheme to import the sap of a bobohuariza tree and market it as an organic depilatory treatment.
- The day before surgery, hair was removed with a depilatory cream, if necessary.
- The cream removes unwanted hair to the root, unlike other depilatory creams which merely melt it to just below the skin's surface.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.