In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(disgraceful)(situation/incident) deplorable(situation/incident) vergonzosoit is deplorable that this is still allowed — es deplorable / vergonzoso que esto se siga permitiendo
- It is deplorable that the delay in undertaking the job was mainly attributed to the two parties' differences over channels of negotiations.
- The animals used for this trade are raised under deplorable conditions and killed solely for their skins and furs.
- I am disappointed in the deplorable, unconscionable way they are trying to make this a political issue.
- These kinds of outrages are deplorable and the perpetrators should be brought to justice.
- Even if their claims are exaggerated, any loss of life is deplorable and unacceptable.
- Older people in the locality cannot recollect the roads ever having been in a more deplorable condition.
- The conditions inside the building are deplorable, terrible, disgusting.
- ‘I think it is a deplorable state of affairs,’ he told the town council.
- I write on behalf of a number of Joseph Rowntree pupils - all of whom have received deplorable service from the bus service over recent weeks.
- Not to say that Russell isn't right when he laments the deplorable state of modern culture.
- They fail to realize that elderly people, when reduced to a deplorable state of solitude, have all the more need for someone to talk to and interact with.
- We have received a complaint from some tourists about a bear being mistreated and kept in deplorable conditions in a snake farm in Pattaya.
- The killing of innocents is deplorable and appalling in any part of the world.
- These deplorable conditions existed in military prisons of both sides.
- This was, after all, a world in which literacy was rare, and the quality of preaching deplorable.
- Such an unthinkable and deplorable situation would affect every aspect of potential business and the quality of life for the future generations in Swindon.
- Although not as large an operation as a puppy mill, backyard breeders often possess the same deplorable conditions.
- Its focus has changed, that's all: it's no longer praise for conduct seen as admirable, but condemnation of antics seen as deplorable.
- Housing conditions are frequently deplorable, overcrowded, and substandard.
- During the past two days, residents have been setting fires on the streets to highlight deplorable living conditions.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.