In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1delegación femininecomisión feminine
- Each of the nine deputations the committee heard criticised the council for springing the cuts on the groups by letter 17 days ago.
- But it still left many advocacy groups annoyed at the limited time they had for deputations - or formal presentations to councillors - and concerned that their opinions had little effect on the final outcome.
- If people wanted something done, they went in a deputation to the minister, escorted by their local member.
- ‘He led many successful deputations to Ministers for Health and played a major role in the development of our General Hospital,’ he added.
- She proposed that a deputation from the council should meet with the Minister for Education to stress the importance of the need for new schools in the town.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.