In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Horse Racingthe Derby — el clásico de Epsom
- the Irish/Kentucky Derby — el Derby de Irlanda/Kentucky
- He won nine English Derbies, three Arc de Triomphes and 11 jockeys' championships.
- By this stage, the Epsom and French Derbies have been held and the Irish Derby, which was first run in 1866, provides the perfect opportunity for the winners of both races to face off for the ultimate test.
- He added there was indications the winners of the English and French Derbies would run the 1.3 million race.
- The Minstrel and Golden Fleece won him the Epsom Derby, and he owned the winners of three Arcs and four Irish Derbies.
- The top three-year-old in Europe was an English-owned, French-trained colt, winner of the French and Irish Derbies before putting up the performance of the season to catch a rival horse in the Arc.
2BritishSporta local derby — enfrentamiento de dos equipos vecinos a nivel nacional
- It was a big game because it was a local derby and it meant a lot to the fans.
- A few years ago, my team lost a local derby, and had a goal disallowed in the last minute.
- It was a big game, a local derby with over 20,000 fans here so there was a lot riding on the match.
- It was always going to be an uphill struggle to motivate the side even in the face of a local derby match.
- There were a lot of local derbies in League One last year but no disrespect to that league, the games next season are going to be that much bigger.
3US(hat)bombín masculinehongo masculinesombrero (de) hongo masculine
- He wears a derby hat covered with pins he collects from every stop.
- A small derby hat adorned his balding pate, longish scraggles of grey-hairs nearly whispering along his ears and neck.
- I grabbed a black derby hat from my closet and covered my messy hair before following Jake back down the stairs and out to his car.
- He had black curly hair that was covered by a derby hat.
- The majority of the foxhunters wear black coats and top hats or derbies.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.