In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1deeds of derring-do — hazañas feminine
- The story is fast-moving and filled with heroic derring-do, impressive action sequences, and deeply-felt tragedy.
- Now, I'm sure some of you with a more sceptical nature might find my tales of invisible derring-do a little hard to believe.
- The programme will be of interest to those who either know nothing about the siege, or who never tire of hearing the same violent tale of derring-do repeated time and again.
- ‘I was keen to write a pantomime as a pastiche of a classic tale of derring-do,’ said Richard.
- After decades of being considered bad form, tales of imperial derring-do are making something of a comeback.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.