In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1desertor masculinedesertora feminine
- The thousands of draft-dodgers and deserters who evaded each call-up showed clearly enough that the army's appeal was far from universal.
- After 30 days of being AWOL a serviceman is considered a deserter, and a warrant is issued for his arrest.
- This structure should also have responsibility to search for deserters.
- Considered a deserter by the Red Army, he was convicted of treason.
- There may be thousands of potential deserters fleeing the Army, and they're trying to hide the scandal.
- He had become a deserter from the U.S. military - a crime punishable by prison, or even death.
- ‘We have arrested the culprits who include a deserter from the Army,’ says a forest official.
- Rather than finding the deserters, the army tends simply to write off the missing soldiers and dismiss them in their absence.
- The marshland areas were areas that dissidents could go and hide in, deserters from the army could go and hide in.
- We cannot deny the fact that many military deserters are known to be potential terrorists and criminals.
- U.S. military records list him as an Army deserter.
- Or they were acting on their own authority, in which case they are the equivalent of mutineers, deserters, or traitors in the field.
- With the help of military deserters, they stormed the prison and forced its surrender, massacring the commander who had fired on them early in the attack.
- In the American and British armies deserters were almost always infantrymen.
- What will today's conscientious objectors and military deserters look like?
- Soldiers are considered deserters when they remain AWOL for more than 30 days.
- In addition, about half a million Italian deserters had melted into the landscape.
- Jean may be an army deserter, but he still maintains an air of heroism.
- The Indian Army declared him a deserter when he did not return.
- Peter, at first so quiet and unassuming, turns out to be an Army deserter.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.