In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Ireland deservedly enjoys an excellent reputation throughout the world for its food and drink.
- A superb recovery though saw them deservedly take all three points.
- In the first half we made mistakes that were duly and deservedly punished.
- A lot has been written and said about that game and deservedly so.
- There were only seconds remaining in the half when Aberdeen deservedly equalised and again it was a first goal at his club for the scorer.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.