In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(wish)deseo masculineanhelo masculine literaryhis greatest / heart's desire — su deseo ferviente
- a desire for sth — deseos de algo
- a desire to + inf
- he expressed a desire to see his family — dijo que tenía deseos de ver a su familia
- I have no real desire to go into business — no me entusiasma la idea de dedicarme a los negocios
- We have very strong feelings, desires and attachments and expectations.
- He raised substantive issues and demonstrated a strong desire to get involved in the public government system.
- These wishes and desires are even expressed in popular music.
- They don't seem to be listening with regard to the desire of the public to maintain guaranteed benefits.
- They enjoy subjects and activities in which they excel, and they take much notice of the desires and wishes of their parents and teachers.
- Given the strong desires of those who wish to maintain the status quo, however, the plan faces an uphill battle before being adopted.
- The film's devastating ending carries more than a hint of a death wish, a terrible desire to cross that final boundary and become one with the animals he loved more than any human.
- But when they do this on the eve of elections, it is difficult to believe they are motivated by a genuine desire to serve the public.
- He also wished to awaken the desire to dance within the audience.
- The freedom to share yourself, that is, your passions, your fears, your secret desires, your wishes with others is one of the greatest treasures of mankind.
- Now I find it extremely difficult to express myself before them, tell them my problems, my wishes and my desires.
- When film stars join politics out of strong commitment or a genuine desire to do public good, their credibility is intact.
- Like many academics in recent years, he was consumed by the desire to become a public intellectual.
- You're a bit of a free spirit, love variety, and have a strong desire to live life to the fullest.
- This is a complex form of addiction as you will have a strong desire to smoke, even if you wish to stop.
- Every time something goes wrong within a public service there is a strong desire to find out why, to legislate and prevent the problem arising again.
- Is it due to a genuine desire to enter public life and shape policies or for ulterior reasons?
- But it also heard of a public desire for resident doctors to be based at the hospital around the clock.
- Imagination, he says, ‘lets us wander through the jungle of our own wishes and desires.’
- And it is in the recognition of the desires, wishes, and hopes of the majority of those who vote that one can begin to understand the outcome of this election.
- A typical feeling in such a state is the inability to experience sexual desire, captured in this song as well.
- Such women are mostly presented as sexless in that once their family is complete, they appear to lose all sexual desire and physical charm.
- It seems to me extremely likely that he would have some desire, some sexual desire.
- It's against the notion that things calm down when we get older, when philosophy is supposed to kick in - that the body, the heart and sexual desire develop and age in the same way.
- However, sexual desire is sexual desire; does it turn off simply because you are in a loving, intimate relationship?
- Mars is our source of aggression and anger, but also our source of sexual passion and desire.
- Fortunately, today there are lots of options for keeping a woman's sexual desire strong.
- Jung preferred a libido where the sheer will to live substituted for sexual desire as the main driving force.
- It was a bond strong enough to drown any sexual desire between us.
- It is said that sexual desire is like an inner fire.
- A strong sexual desire, it was contended, should be recognised as a sign of health and energy, both for the individual and for society.
- Longing, sexual desire, emotional emptiness and instability run rampant.
- They are not given the freedom to express themselves and tap into their embodiment of sexual desire through positive social vehicles like film.
- When panderers to sexual desire frequent a location, other appetite providers will follow.
- Sexual desire is sexual desire, and under pressure the usual direction of preference may break down.
- This evening we're talking about female desire and sexual dysfunction.
- He said that couples should discuss anything that curb's the man's regular sexual activity, which was not caused by a decrease in sexual desire.
- Worldly ambition and sexual desire deflected him from the true path.
- Medicines can also affect sexual drive and desire, or cause problems with ejaculation and orgasm.
- From her earliest student shorts, repressed sexual desire has been a consistent undercurrent in the New Zealander's work.
1(want)(approval/happiness/success) desearit is to be desired — es de desear
- his conduct leaves a great deal to be desired — su conducta deja mucho que desear
2desired past pdeseadoto have the desired effect — producir el efecto deseado
- cut the wood to the desired length — corte la madera a la medida deseada
3formal(request)rogar formalsolicitar formalto desire sb to + inf — rogar(le) a algn que + subj
4(lust after)(person) desear
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.