In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(cry/look) de desesperación(attempt) desesperadohis despairing mother — su desconsolada madre
- Dada took its momentum from this fractured, despairing kind of environment.
- Some people have given up and reached various despairing conclusions.
- The adventure had a final despairing twist.
- Upon waking, he realized he was in the same frustrated and despairing state once again.
- About three of their forwards scrambled the ball past our despairing goalie.
- It is now time for local and central government to listen to its despairing critics.
- In such a despairing context, what is the young Palestinian to do?
- Who would present this groundbreaking initiative to a despairing public?
- I hear a collective gasp of anguish and witness a row of black-haired heads drop into despairing hands.
- Something earth-shaking must have transformed the despairing disciples.
- His despairing family thought that he had ceased to live.
- Charlie collapsed in a chair, giving a despairing little sigh.
- Ironically, the despairing quest of the Solitary has been validated by her Companion.
- She gave no answer to my reproaches, save to gaze at me with a sort of wild, despairing look in her eyes.
- Coady creates grace in even the most despairing moments.
- Politicians have been warned repeatedly that overpopulated prisons cannot deal adequately with depressed, despairing inmates.
- It is a bleak, despairing admission.
- On his way to Damascus, Maritain was knocked off his despairing pretensions and turned toward sainthood.
- This is a darker, more despairing film than the other two.
- From this despairing state Wittgenstein was rescued by two developments.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.