In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1cuchara de postre feminine
- They had laid cash, including a hefty tip, on the silver plate, and commandeered an unused dessertspoon to act as a paperweight.
- With a dessertspoon, scoop out the seeds and discard.
- Form the mixture into egg-shaped quenelles using two dessertspoons.
- She spied a dessertspoon with the lumpy pudding they had left - if she was going to make her ‘great escape’, no matter how long it was going to take, she was going to have to make it somewhere!
- With the back of a dessertspoon, gently press the fruit down into the ramekin.
- I played with my dessertspoon as the others began to clear up, my conversation with Chase echoing through my head.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.