In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Submarines, aircraft carriers, destroyers, these people have to be trained.
- The fleet includes a submarine, a destroyer and an aircraft carrier.
- Veteran Royal Navy destroyer HMS Newcastle is enjoying a high-profile sunset to her distinguished Naval career.
- These were to include a close escort of six destroyers, four corvettes, three minesweepers, four armed trawlers and two ack-ack ships.
- The Japanese navy has been trailing the submarine with two destroyers and a surveillance airplane, a defense agency spokesman said.
- The Lynx is one of the mainstays of maritime aviation for the Royal Navy, and the aircraft has for many years provided the ship's flight for deployed frigates and destroyers.
- It's kind of hard not to think of the bigger picture when a destroyer and an aircraft carrier are docked in the bay a few miles away.
- The number of destroyers, frigates and submarines each in the Pakistan navy are approximately half that of India.
- Royal Navy destroyer HMS Exeter has carried out trailblazing exercises with the Chinese Navy in the Yellow Sea.
- Shipyards in England and Scotland must start cutting steel for the first of a dozen new Royal Navy destroyers in just two years time.
- The Orze was one of two submarines, three destroyers, a training vessel and a supply ship which the Polish naval command had at its disposal in November 1939.
- Between six and ten ships - usually destroyers, frigates and tankers - are attached to the Force for up to eight months.
- Royal Navy destroyer HMS Nottingham has been holed by rocks off Australia.
- At sea, he served in a battleship, an aircraft carrier, in cruisers, destroyers, frigates, and a minesweeper.
- Stated future requirements for the yards include up to nine Type 45 destroyers, two future aircraft carriers and a primary casualty receiving ship.
- Intensive fire from flak guns was directed against the midget submarine, before destroyers pounded the spot with depth charges.
- At one time he had an entire fort, complete with submarines and destroyers.
- These ships were to be supported by six torpedo-boat destroyers, two submarines and support ships.
- This includes an aircraft carrier, four frigates, two destroyers, other ships and group troops.
- At sea are five giant aircraft carriers, four of which have their own battle fleets of destroyers, cruisers and submarines, totalling 25 ships.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.