In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1detenido masculinedetenida femininea political detainee — un preso político
- The detainees remain behind bars pending the government's appeal in October.
- Several detainees stole a car and attempted to ram it through the centre gates.
- The reasons why detainees do not initially seek advice or later cancel a request are likely to be various.
- He has acted and been treated as a normal detainee through much of his sentence.
- A Chinese detainee immediately called for a hunger strike, and was beaten as well.
- They clash over the treatment and status of detainees held in detention centres.
- The detainee and the detainer, they cannot deny their common past which they spent in the same boat.
- Whenever one person is lawfully in the custody of another, the custodian owes a duty of care to the detainee.
- Some detainees were provided the names of attorneys to call, but with wrong phone numbers.
- Members of the security forces torture, beat and otherwise abuse prisoners and detainees.
- In some cases, Egypt has often refused to acknowledge that detainees are in its custody.
- Earlier this year it visited two New Jersey jails where most of the detainees are being held.
- If they inform a detainee's family or the media about the detention, they face up to five years in jail.
- New laws ensured that those detainees deemed genuine refugees would only get three-year visas.
- This is in bold print and is intended to draw the detainee's attention to the reasons why he or she is being detained.
- We were able to survive while some other detainees were killed in the prison.
- If a detainee's family or associates somehow find out about the detention, they cannot publicly comment on it in any way.
- The guard is also charged with later bashing the detainee while handcuffed to a bed.
- England said that the tribunals will hear cases from as many as four detainees a day, six days a week.
- Last September the Center announced that a detainee had died in Juwaida Prison as a result of torture.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.