In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1detectivefeminine agentemasculine oficialbefore noun detective agency / bureau — agencia de detectives feminine
- Both were released after being questioned by detectives and remain on police bail.
- He said within minutes an ambulance, police vans and detectives had turned up.
- A major manhunt was launched and detectives made numerous appeals in a bid to catch the culprit.
- One person detectives are particularly anxious to speak to is a woman who phoned a few days after the assault.
- The bravery of one of his victims enabled vice-squad detectives to bring him to court.
- An initial post-mortem failed to establish a cause of death and detectives started an investigation.
- He is still at large and detectives are investigating a possible link with an attack just two days earlier.
- A police spokesman said detectives are trying to establish the cause of death.
- A surveillance unit of detectives follow her every move and are ready to pounce when the alarm sounds.
- Firefighters alerted police and the fire was out before detectives arrived.
- Even the two detectives who led the investigation are divided over how much Carr knew.
- At the height of the investigation more than 80 detectives were involved in inquiries.
- The two men were taken to the police station for questioning by detectives.
- Strathclyde Police last night confirmed that detectives had investigated the matter.
- Eight of the suspects were today being quizzed by detectives at undisclosed police stations.
- Officers are doing extra patrols in town and detectives have made a new appeal for women not to go out alone.
- A police spokesman appealed for people with information to contact detectives.
- Police patrols were boosted as detectives warned that the man could strike again.
- He had never been in trouble with the police and detectives believe he was the victim of mistaken identity.
- The investigating detectives reviewed the color surveillance video at the dealership.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.