In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(troops) desembarcar(supplies) descargar
- We detrained here, but only briefly since this train would be heading inbound once its operator changed ends.
- A lot of passengers detrained, and only a small handful boarded.
- As we detrained, passengers were told what time to be ready to depart on either train.
- But a Bronx-bound 4 train came in across the platform just as we were detraining at 42nd Street / Grand Central.
- After detraining the passengers, the train backed out on the main, reversed direction, and then went east 18 miles to Seth to turn on the wye.
- It is a revenue run, Train 3600, but I did not observe any passengers detrain once it arrived.
- The platform was mobbed with people just detraining from a Corridor train on the opposite track but we soon reached Location A where our car would be spotted.
- Our Palatka stop at 3: 48 PM was six minutes late, but we stopped and quickly started since no passengers were detraining or boarding there.
- I was surprised that the passengers detraining here far outnumbered those boarding.
- She told me that since we were late, we would only stop to detrain and board passengers, and then continue.
- I teased them that I would tell everyone on the late train that we would not even be detraining at Orlando.
- Now one would have to detrain and go on by road to Cairnryan.
- Quite a few detrained before we boarded and once seated the train started moving.
- As soon as all passengers had detrained, we boarded and headed right for the upper level.
- This passenger like me had been in his car and had detrained here.
- The train was on time and we detrained in Sacramento.
- This train was taken out of service at 149th Street / Grand Concourse, but luckily for us we were detraining there anyhow to catch the 2 train.
- Because of a necessary double spot to entrain / detrain passengers at Columbus, we departed at 5: 04, 4 minutes off the scheduled departure.
- Hopefully the large number of people detraining at Sharon Hill did not delay the train too much.
- Now most passengers were quite confused and in fact many started detraining.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.