In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in tennis)deuce masculinecuarenta iguales masculine
- They had a match point in the semi-final against the Cantrells, but Burdett served a double fault on the sudden-death second deuce in which this point is decisive under the rules of the competition designed to prevent drawn-out matches.
- Federer was in the sort of form which took him to the Wimbledon title this year, with Blake staving off an amazing 19 out of 20 break-point opportunities, and surviving 10 deuces in one service game.
- I believe that happens during a deuce when the server has just won a point, and if he or she wins the next point the game is theirs.
- Schnyder, serving for the match at 6-5, trailed 0-40 but held her serve after three deuces.
- Capriati had chances to break the Myskina serve in a long fifth game, but failed to do so and paid the price in the next game when Myskina made the vital breakthrough after a sequence of deuces.
- The deuce of clubs starts - the holder leads it to the first trick.
- If a joker or deuce is discarded, it is placed crosswise on the discard pile so that it remains visible when other cards are discarded on top of it.
- The dealer gave her a deuce and she jumped from fifth place to second place and earned $22,000 in doing so.
- At other times, it's always deuces when they aren't wild.
- Some players play with both jokers and with the deuce of spades as the third highest trump in the game.
- ‘Five Card Draw, deuces wild,’ David announced, deftly dealing out the cards.
- The deuce of each suit is called the sow (die Sau).
- My double-down blackjack bets drew deuces, the ball avoided my numbers in roulette like it owed them money, and if a player needed a card to beat me, then by God, that card was gonna come.
- If anyone goes out of cards during ‘the Count’, the game continues until someone is unable to play a deuce or an ace, and draws their cards.
- If he should now throw 2 deuces for a total of 5, the player then throws all five dice for the third throw.
- In some games certain cards are wild - either the deuces or a joker added to the deck - and in some games there is a cumulative jackpot which is won by a high hand such as a royal flush.
- Betting big with a pair of deuces in Texas Hold 'Em could lead to a third deuce and a win on ‘the river.’
- But see, you never knew, because deuces became treys in the outer boroughs.
- All of the deuces and jokers are wild cards.
- After the deuces are picked up, there is one more round of betting, then it's time for the surviving players to show their cards.
- Likewise, if a good player with deuces showing is calling a bet by a pair of Kings, chances are good that the deuces won't lose because Aces over deuces or rolled up deuces are likely.
- I looked down to find a useless deuce as my stranger and fired a bet out there, while positively holding the worst hand (still a pair of queens).
- This can only be bid by the dealer, and is only allowed if the dealer holds the ace, king and deuce of trumps.
- Let's say everybody is dealt a bunch of small cards and the dealer has a deuce up.
- Yet we don't count up two diamonds from the deuce and two from the trey, but treat each card as a complete unity.
- The high-low deuces were introduced, and the multiple scoring (where strikes were counted apart from points) was devised.
- In this version, both deuces of Clubs are removed from the combined cards.
1where/what the deuce … ? — ¿dónde/qué diantre / demontre(s) … ? informal dated
- Well, what the deuce are you waiting for, old boy?
- And when you feel so extremely a fool and a bad golfer to boot, what the deuce can you do, except throw the club away?
- In 49th Parallel, who knows what the deuce he is doing, other than turning in what I believe to be the only bad performance in any Powell and Pressburger film.
- You know I go to bed every night at 9: 30 and hate like the deuce to get up at 5: 30, though I expect I am getting fat.
- I'm back and now you can ask me: What the deuce is Deuce Bigelow: Male Gigolo, anyway?
- Surprisingly, there is no recorded conversation along the lines of: ‘Who the deuce sent her that piano?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.