In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The first rays of golden light touched the hillside, still wet with dew, each tiny droplet singing out in a rainbow of colors.
- It also allows for better air circulation to promote faster fern drying from rain and morning dews.
- The average in England this month has been seven millimetres - equivalent to a few heavy dews - and it has been drier in the east than the west.
- We've had some superb windless and cloudless nights recently, which means we've woken up to gardens saturated by heavy dew the next morning.
- In fact, we used to get up extra early just to capture that dew.
- There were dark green cannabis plants dripping with heavy dew dotting the field and the smell of cannabis resin mixed with the aroma of fresh cow dung permeated the morning air.
- Heavy dew in the night time and soaring soil temperatures made farming a pleasure, especially as cattle prices continued to rise.
- Rain, dew, and condensation from the cooling system produce enough water for a family of four.
- Adults feed on water drops or dew and are short-lived.
- A groundsman yesterday sweeps dew off the lawn at Oakland Hills Country Club, with the Ryder Cup standing at right.
- Long periods of precipitation, sprinkler irrigation to protect plants from freezing, or heavy dews in the spring also favor the disease.
- Most manufacturers recommend that at least two hours be allowed for paint to dry before sunset if cool temperatures and heavy dew are expected that evening.
- The only thing standing between them and death is a discovered stash of tinned carrots and the morning dew they collect from the roofs of their ramshackle dwellings.
- They catch the night dew for water, we are told, and eat old tins of carrots, left by the company that once mined this spot.
- When our second child was on the way, we purchased a house that was warmer, but sat above a basement that filled with water after every heavy dew.
- Rain, heavy dew, and high humidity stimulate preharvest sprouting.
- Cope said that the Panel had accepted that the pitch was dry at the start of the game and they thought it was the length of the grass which had caused it to pick up dampness following rain and heavy dew.
- Do not apply insecticides when temperatures are expected to be unusually low following treatment or on nights when heavy dew forms.
- Since it was a dry night, and there wasn't even dew on the grass, the fire spread throughout the yard.
- The latter, although presently only at low levels, often develops quickly through June and July during grain-filling period, especially on the wolds where early morning dews can last for several hours.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.