In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1vulgar slang(penis)verga feminine vulgar slangpija feminine River Plate vulgar slangpolla feminine Spain vulgar slangpico masculine Chile vulgar slang
1vulgar slang(copulate with)joder vulgar slangtirar(se) vulgar slangcoger Mexico River Plate vulgar slangculear(se) Chile vulgar slang
2slang(cheat)joder vulgar slangtimar informal
1(detective)poli feminine informalpolizonte feminine informalprivate dick — detective privado masculine
- Set in Los Angeles, the show follows the tradition of the hardboiled dicks portrayed by Dashiell Hammett, Raymond Chandler, James Cain, Ross McDonald.
- The image of a private dick gazing out his office window, a Lucky in one and a stiff drink in the other, is nearly a cliche.
- Williams agrees and Kelso becomes a private dick, trying to work out the details of the murder and to free Williams, for whom he has developed a good bit of respect and admiration.
- Our city's private dicks are mostly double-dipping police pensioners.
- She's the English version of a hard-boiled dick, tougher than most all her country's male detectives, public or private.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.