In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1dictadura femininethe dictatorship of the proletariat — la dictadura del proletariado
- It is an advance on dictatorship or autocracy and has had to be fought for and won.
- To ask dictatorship to be democratic is utopian.
- This is not democracy, it is dictatorship, and it is borderline fascism.
- The word dictatorship conjures up an image of repression, especially for anyone who has suffered under a right wing dictatorship or in a Stalinist state.
- I remember replying that this was a quite hopeless analysis, absolutely disastrous to the left since it bound them to a state capitalist dictatorship.
- Auschwitz, Bergen-Belsen, Buchenwald, and Dachau became synonyms for the inhuman dictatorship of National Socialism.
- When I was growing up, I was taught that communism leads to dictatorship and capitalism leads inevitably to democracy.
- The mayhem of World War II was followed by more than 40 years of Communist dictatorship in Central and Eastern Europe.
- Socialists defend the institutions of parliamentary democracy against dictatorship or fascism.
- The result of their gamble was military dictatorship and fascism throughout Europe.
- Over the past two decades, Taiwan has moved from dictatorship to democracy.
- The bombings draw attention to the brutal military dictatorship.
- Today we define despotism (along with dictatorship and totalitarianism) as a form of government.
- Mallorca and the rest of Spain were going through the political transition from dictatorship to democracy.
- It failed, the monarchy resorted to military dictatorship, and the Democratic leaders were driven into exile.
- The Portuguese fascist dictatorship was overthrown by the people, allied to sections of the army, in 1974.
- In 1993, the government changed from a communist dictatorship to a democracy with a free-market economy.
- One of the key indicators of a society that is transforming from democracy to fascism or dictatorship is government control of the press.
- Nothing ever halted his rickshaw, he declared with pride, whether colonialism, occupation, dictatorship or democracy.
- Religious dominance of politics will only push democracy into anarchy and dictatorship.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.