In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Often he would search for minutes in his Arabic-English dictionary for the exact word he wanted.
- On the surface, both are among the simplest of words in the French dictionary.
- Taberah was reading the bilingual dictionary with rapt concentration.
- Questions as to the meaning of words in documents can rarely, if ever, be determined conclusively by reference to dictionaries.
- The software uses a standard dictionary, designed by Kiran, to accomplish the task.
- We're calling the film Incubus because we looked the word up in the dictionary and thought it sounded enigmatic.
- And can we take a moment to thank all our readers who sent in English slang dictionaries?
- ‘Personhood’ is not found in many dictionaries or reference works.
- We had to get up at one point and look up a word in the dictionary because he didn't believe me that it existed.
- Later reference to a dictionary illuminated the answer, but by that stage all had been revealed.
- The latest dictionary contains new words and phrases that sum up life in the UK today.
- Group 1 selected equivalents for a test item on a multiple-choice test by using only the monolingual English dictionary.
- Mark Twain claimed never to have coined a word as far as he knew, though historical dictionaries list him as the first user of many.
- Apart from in books and dictionaries it was a word that was hardly heard.
- I can remember my schoolteacher telling me to look a word up in the dictionary.
- There is not a word in the English dictionary to really describe this pre-meditated act of evil and wickedness.
- The problem is that my French vocabulary is so poor that I end up having to look up every other word in a dictionary so it takes ages.
- She also started compiling a dictionary of youth slang first used by the transvestite community.
- I keep turning to the dictionary and the thesaurus, not for a reference, simply to read words at random.
- Seventy years ago, the Philological Society had resolved to publish a completely new English dictionary.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.