In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Later that evening she told him she didn't fancy him and was happy just to be friends.
- He didn't seem to have control of it, it was as if he was having to fight to stop it going the other way.
- Back in the good old days everyone knew their place and didn't seek to rise above it.
- I said that it wasn't if you didn't try but that it would do if it was the best you could manage.
- Thank you goes a long way, and it was a thank you that didn't even need to come from Griffin.
- When she didn't answer the doorbell he said he forced the door and went into the flat.
- He didn't know what was wrong with her but he did know that her mother was extremely ill.
- It didn't quite go according to plan and we ended up pouring it back into the bottle.
- We have the debris of rockets in our garden to prove it, even though we didn't set off any!
- We didn't see the last band as it was getting late and we both had long train journeys ahead of us.
- You may need to come to terms with a parent who treated you poorly or didn't raise you well.
- So when they told us to tighten our belts we did it, but it didn't make any difference.
- They didn't need a magic cape or a microchip to give them the power to triumph over evil.
- He wants to focus on having a family because he didn't have the chance to do that before.
- It seemed to be some kind of justice to me and I didn't have a problem with the decision.
- If Lott didn't see the storm coming, it was in part because it was so slow in building.
- He didn't have his mask on at first but then he pulled it down and swore at me that he wanted the money.
- He said he didn't know what it was and thought it was a lizard when he first got it.
- We were working in the shop last night so we didn't have a chance to see this on television.
- He didn't know about it so I ran upstairs to get his stocking off the bottom of his bed.
- did not
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.