In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Specific classes of medications used to control and slow the heart rate include digitalis, beta blockers, and calcium channel blockers.
- In reality, more than 30% of conventional medications come from common plant sources (eg, digitalis from foxglove, vincristine from periwinkle).
- One-year mortality was reduced regardless of gender, presence of diabetes mellitus or heart failure, or treatment with diuretics, digitalis, beta blockers or anticoagulants.
- According to the authors, the concomitant intake of those two drugs induced a drop in potassium following a diuretic induced decrease in water retention, which led to an increase in sensitivity of heart muscle to digitalis.
- The effects of the medication can be inhibited by tricyclic antidepressants and digitalis.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.