In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He discussed how the manufacture of PVC creates the unwanted byproduct of dioxin, a potent carcinogen.
- Activists also charge that inappropriate operation of incinerators creates not only air pollution but also toxic dioxin.
- Some commentators recommend avoiding fatty fish because more PCBs, DDT, dioxin, and other chemical compounds will be found in the fat.
- FDA has since recommended that clays used as desiccants in feed processing be tested for dioxin.
- But dioxin and related toxic chemicals are detectable in the body years after exposure.
- The pulp and paper industry has historically discharged dioxin and other environmental toxins into rivers and streams.
- But until two years ago, the pleasures of Zamami were spoiled by the presence of a garbage incinerator that spewed highly toxic dioxin into the atmosphere.
- The by-product of this process, dioxin, is thought to be linked to cervical cancer and also has harmful effects on the environment.
- The Stockholm Convention, to which Australia is a signatory, bans, or seeks to eliminate 12 of the worst organic pollutants including dioxin.
- Thousands of ducks and a million duck eggs have been destroyed after the toxic chemical dioxin was found in eggs at a supermarket, the government said yesterday.
- Arsenic and dioxin in the herbicides are expected to pose a health threat long into the future.
- Some of the herbicide contained dioxin, one of the world's deadliest poisons.
- In addition, the manufacture and incineration of PVC releases dioxin, a known human carcinogen, into the environment.
- No trees will be cut for Whole Earth and no chlorine used in paper making (thus releasing no dioxin into the environment).
- Poly-vinyl chloride, or PVC, is targeted as a primary producer of dioxin.
- The amounts of dioxin in the environment are very low.
- A 1995 study shows that the amount of dioxin produced during waste incineration depends more on the method of incineration than on the chlorine content of the waste.
- That view is shared by the usually mild US Environmental Protection Agency following their extensive three-year study that proved dioxin to be more toxic than had originally been believed.
- Cigarettes contain many pesticide residues, some chlorine chemicals that when burned produce dioxin, a known human carcinogen and cause of a host of diseases.
- The Jiading factory will be able to burn at 850 degrees centigrade, hot enough to destroy dioxin, a poisonous chemical compound found in some waste, said the engineer on that project.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.