- However, to a low extent, viable spores can also be recovered from a very small population of homozygous diploid nuclei in an otherwise haploid plasmodium.
- Oocytes and sperm are haploid, with one set of chromosomes, whereas somatic cells are diploid, with two chromosomal sets.
- An obvious question is whether the mat bias is absent in azygotic meiosis after homologous chromosomes have coexisted in diploid cells for many mitotic divisions.
- We started the experiments described below by establishing large populations of diploid cells.
- We performed a similar experiment using h/h diploid cells as the host.