In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1borracho masculineborracha femininecurda feminine River Plate informal
- Fascinating look at the national results - non drinkers do spectacularly worse than dipsos, and the IQ is in inverse proportion to salary levels.
- Perhaps a wise old retired policeman would have spotted something, but like all the dipsos I know, he was a tightwad as well, and never went near the bar.
- He famously adopted the stage persona of an affectless drunk, only to turn, after his son's death, into a genuine dipso.
- Watching it, we were laughing about what a dipso the director must be.
- We opt for number two, and discover the dipso cooks a mean cheese omelette.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.