In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It's a beverage selection that neither Flandrau nor Fitzgerald, kindred spirits in dipsomania, would have approved of.
- Blair spends much of the book whining about his dipsomania and sexually perverted thoughts.
- The good news is I was already in therapy because of her dipsomania, and it was a free program!
- Most of the world exists between the extremes of abstinence (Indonesia and Yemen bring up the rear) and the dipsomania of a Slovenia or a South Korea.
- But for Blairites to attack Brown for networking, briefing the press and installing placemen is a little like an alcoholic accusing a social drinker of dipsomania.
- He died of drink - not the social drinking which leads so often to ruin here - but the fiery, passionate dipsomania which is a common disease even in the very best circles of the Scandinavian countries.
- He suffered from dipsomania (excessive bouts of drinking) and died at the age of 42.
- Alongside Faye Dunaway, Rourke trashed his glamorous image to drag the audience into an abyss of dipsomania.
- These characters could inhabit an early Waugh but not a later one, where dipsomania is not a joke but a debilitating disease that wrecks lives.
- He gossips about the dipsomania in town whilst tracking down and smashing stills.
- Did I mention I have fairly severe dipsomania?
- When he sings about his marauding dipsomania and the opposite sex tearing his heart from his body, then stamping and twisting their heel into his hyper-sensitive organ on the squalid street, it rings true.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.