In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(site of disaster)zona siniestrada femininezona de desastre feminineto be declared a disaster area — ser declarado zona de desastre
- Again, I don't think it was necessary for him to drop everything and fly personally down to the disaster area.
- The bottom-line is that improvements in and around the disaster area, particularly public amenities, should be restored as soon as possible.
- At major airports a multi agency response was put in place for people returning from the disaster area.
- The area was declared a national disaster area, which released state funds.
- Simply, the Guard has old, beat-up equipment, and this seriously impedes the Guard's ability to accomplish its mission - whether on the battlefield or in a disaster area.
2informal, humorousdesastre masculine informal humorousmy room is a real disaster area — mi habitación está hecha un desastre informal
- he's a walking disaster area — es un verdadero desastre
- After hanging up the phone, Lizzie wandered back up to her room, thinking about whether she should finally tackle the disaster area formerly known as her closet.
- His room was a disaster area filled with hard rock posters, the biggest hidden stash of porn I've ever seen, and undecipherable floor stains.
- Every time he opened his eyes slightly, he saw the utter disaster area his room had become.
- So far, I've noticed that I have terrible posture, a horrible extra chin, and a room that is a disaster area.
- The situation in south Florida, ‘a drug disaster area,’ was out of control and about to get even worse.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.