In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1incrédulohe looked at me in a disbelieving manner — me miró incrédulo
- The soldier is looking very disbelieving; he is barking again.
- Only on this occasion, the disbelieving doctor called the police.
- Janet's expression softened as she regarded her disbelieving companion.
- Bert was stunned as the surreal scene continued to unfold in front of his bleary, disbelieving eyes.
- The next day, he shows the letter to his disbelieving doctor.
- I have the manic, disbelieving smile of a winning game-show contestant.
- Somehow he must convince a disbelieving world that the nightmare has already begun.
- Mom and Dad gasped and stared at me with disbelieving eyes.
- I could tell from their disbelieving faces that they couldn't believe how generous I was.
- She stiffened slightly when she heard her father's disbelieving snort.
- The handful of coaches, scouts and parents were stunned into disbelieving silence before breaking into thunderous applause.
- An hour later a delirious and disbelieving Beryl rang again.
- I played back the message for my disbelieving friends.
- Jennifer offered a brief narrative but received a disbelieving glance.
- Elizabeth interjected, giving her mother a disbelieving stare.
- All the same, it was good to see Kev finally faced with disbelieving opposition.
- Indeed, if he dismisses it with a disbelieving laugh, we expect to see the bad luck drop on him out of the blue.
- A late night call conveyed the good news to a disbelieving Carmel who proved a very popular winner.
- Brice let out a high, disbelieving laugh.
- They wanted a holiday snap to show disbelieving folks back home what looked almost like the parting of the waters by Moses.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.