In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
2parking discTransportdisco (de estacionamiento) masculinebefore noun disc zone — zona azul feminine Spain — zona donde es obligatorio el uso del disco de estacionamiento
- Appearing as a black disc 30 times smaller than the sun's diameter, it will slowly move from left to right over the course of six hours.
- What strikes the human eye is the uniquely singular soaring roof, shaped like a slanted disc, which also appears to be in the form of the rising sun.
- Since the cloud was rotating, its spherical shape flattened into a disc.
- There was no contrail and the disc appeared to be at an altitude of 20 to 25 thousand feet.
- The sun was only six degrees high in the south and was shining on the unusually short contrail giving the appearance of a shiny disc.
- But the outer boundaries of the disks orbiting the younger stars I mentioned are as much as twenty times farther away from their central stars.
- On the left, the mouth of a megaphonelike shape contains concentric blue lines punctuated by small yellow disks.
- A graphic appeared on the screen next to the newswoman that was shaped like a flying disc.
- At dawn, the moon will be as far away from the sun as its orbit will carry it and as a result will appear out to the North Sea as a dark disc surrounded by a vibrant ring of fire.
- The once-in-a-lifetime event takes place when Venus passes through the disc of Sun and appears like a small spot moving slowly across the Sun when viewed from the Earth.
- As the lunar disk cleared the horizon, it appeared that a chunk had been taken out of its bottom.
- Great Horned Owls are large, powerful owls with prominent ear-tufts, prominent facial disks, and bold yellow eyes.
- The Sun is many times larger than the Earth, but distance makes it appear like a small disc.
- Venus will appear as a small disc moving across the sun between 10.45 a.m. and 4.51 p.m.
- The sword was spinning so fast that you could only see a green disc shape.
- As he stared at the bright, off-white disk, though, he was distracted by some small flashes of light, which started appearing just below the disk of the moon.
- The Irish milliner, celebrated for his daring designs, has produced a seat large enough for two people in the shape of a large disc with an indentation.
- Then at the far end of the rings a glowing disc appeared in the first one.
- The disc glowed yellow and filled the room with plentiful light.
- A huge disc appeared to be rising from the south over the Mediterranean.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.