In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- ‘Thank you,’ Hale sputtered in his own discomposure.
- I was a daughter of wealth, I told myself, and not subject to discomposure and embarrassment.
- Apparently, the whole school knew about my little discomposure.
- Reymus watched William leave with a concerned gaze and his pale, silver-blue eyes shone with the slightest bit of discomposure.
- Manda felt her face flushed at her discomposure.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.