In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1desconectarI didn't pay my bills, so I was disconnected — me cortaron el teléfono (or el gas etc.) por no pagar
- Today the club's electricity has been disconnected because of non-payment.
- Cable TV has also been disconnected for non payment of the fees.
- Hundreds of thousands of customers have been disconnected for non-payment of bills, something that was illegal before privatisation.
- Mobile phone users now have only fifteen days, instead of thirty five, to clear overdue bills before they are disconnected.
- 103 children lived in families whose electricity was disconnected.
- The new law in the UK takes away water companies' powers to disconnect water supply for non-payment, or to limit the supply with the intention of enforcing payment.
- This means if your water account is in arrears, your electricity might be disconnected.
- The building contractors wrote to us in February and we have applied for the electricity to be disconnected.
- Last week the strikers disconnected the electricity and water supplies to the company's premises, causing the temporary closure of its headquarters.
- Water will be disconnected from 3.00 pm. to 8.30 a.m. the following day.
- In January a similar move to disconnect non-payers caused outrage when businesses across the city were put out of action.
- The decision had been surprising to many who found their telephone lines disconnected despite having paid the bill.
- The corporatisation of basic services has meant that millions have been disconnected from water and electricity.
- The one million households who are disconnected from their fixed telephone line must pay up to £75 to get reconnected.
- In another case, Patsy and her large family were disconnected without notice for $400 in arrears.
- Her cell phone has been disconnected and bills that I mailed have been ignored.
- In 1994 12, 500 households were disconnected from water supplies because they couldn't pay.
- Half the time our electricity was disconnected and running water a luxury.
- The water was disconnected, and yesterday it was reconnected after guarantee of payment.
- Electricity, gas and telephones in the area have been disconnected but may be restored to some parts of the area if safety permits.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.