In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(disagreement, conflict)discordia feminineit sowed the seeds of discord in the family — sembró / plantó la semilla de la discordia en la familia
- Cultural discord has been resolved by the power of speech and the settling of people into their land.
- But at today's meetings and agreements, discord was quite apparent in the Group of Eight.
- During periods of social upheaval or political discord, they experience heightened levels of violence and trauma, both physical and psychological, both within the home and outside it.
- There are many interpretations on the quarrels and discord between the two men.
- But in the midst of this harmony, there are sources of discord.
- The nature of this disorder is primarily in a profound pathological discord between his intellectual and emotional life.
- This idealized history had some effect, if not to stem the immediate social discord permanently, to produce a general desire for a more orderly world.
- They create divisions and discord, mislead, confuse, and worst of all, stifle the opposition.
- At present, there is racial discord and disharmony among ethnic groups in our country.
- With the introduction of the human race into the balance, everything began to fall into discord.
- Although, for the most part these concerns are unwarranted, in certain cases disagreements about the nuclear intentions of a state can create discord among suppliers.
- The world lies in strife, in discord, in divergence.
- There was no sign of the discord which divided the camp, no hint of the hesitation which plagued their play in that dramatic quarter-final, and no lack of creativity in their attack.
- In conflict, communication wears two faces: It can create discord and lead to time-wasting arguments, or it can catalyze peaceful resolution and spark creative diversions.
- Scorn and religious guilt are not solutions to social discord.
- ‘In our study, it's more the direct exposure to the parents' discord that causes the problem,’ he says.
- Think of discord, chaos, strife, anarchy, change, and confusion.
- As long as this is the case there will necessarily arise discord and conflict.
- By acting as a facilitator, guide, or mediator, the chair may avoid discord among the trustees and also prevent future difficulties by keeping the board focused on its responsibilities.
- There are signs of discord in the clubhouse, however.
- He's not afraid of discord - he'd rather have any disagreement out in the open.
- It is such conflicting expert opinions that sow confusion and discord among banana farmers and deprive the industry of the confidence required to perform its pivotal role in our economic and social development.
- At the very heart of the idealistic enterprise was a source of potential difficulty and discord.
- An expansion in the output of political stores is both self-limiting and involves the generation of social discord.
- Psychologists provide psychotherapy for a range of problems, from marital discord to personality disorders.
- The condition is also linked with drug and alcohol abuse, memory problems, family discord and inability to function in social life.
- However, their understanding did not prevent discord between the inconsistent emperor and his subjects.
- That will not be accomplished by bickering and discord and infighting on a grand scale.
- This has led to much discord within the various cultures and ethnicities.
- There is no doubt that they have gone from a generally happy time in the 1990s to four years of deficit, discord and disappointment.
- Recent national events helped turn the simmering discord into open conflict.
- He must join a party or create his own, which could lead to new discord among the opposition parties.
- When you notice these vices - envy, discord, contention, quarrelling - chances are your place of work is in need of a spirituality for the work place.
- ‘That's just typical of you journalists, trying to sow discord where once there was harmony,’ he spat.
- As reasons for misunderstanding or discord diminish, both cultures will realize greater rewards.
- So, what I tried to do here was to say religion doesn't have to be a source of discord and can be a source of harmony.
- After days of being nice and behaved he itched for some discord and strife.
- Perhaps this is one reason society is plagued by so much family discord - with every conflict that arises, the first instinct is abandonment.
- One other factor is parental discord and lack of proper education.
- Is there any discord between you and the Ministry of Culture and if so, why according to you is there miscommunication among institutions?
(lack of harmony)discordancia femininedisonancia feminine
- With his best concentration it was still beyond him, the rhythms too disjointed, the shifts from discord into harmony too complex.
- Suddenly, Darcy pounded hard on the piano keys, producing a sound of discord.
- Since the music unfolds within the set framework of the raga, there is more harmony and less discord.
- Then an unwelcome sound stumbled into the song - one of discord - a sour note that did not belong and that would change everything.
- They sang in discord, their disharmony drowning out the sobbing, travelling to the ears of those who lingered in the church's car park.
(chord)acorde disonante masculine
- At times, however, music of great austerity and purity is shattered by painful, pounding discords.
- Haydn was again the chief model, but Beethoven introduced many daring innovations, including beginning the symphony with an out-of-key discord.
- Tuned to the harmonic series, it sounds along with the rhythm of the waves, and its sound is more ambient than tuneful, although you do hear elements of tune and resolving discords.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.